Monday, May 30, 2011

An Address to the Pope Regarding the Man Known As Galileo

   I am Ptolemy, ancient Mathematician, Scientist, Astronomer, and more. I lived in Alexandria from 90 to 168 A.D., under Roman rule, and wrote my works in Greek.
    I find Galileo not guilty of heresy, due to the fact that we are determining whether or not he has violated the words of his God. I do not know this..."Christianity" very well, however, I am somewhat familiar with this book about the life of the individual "Jesus," and I know of the original section of this book, it has been around for quite some time.
   From what I can determine, I find that our man Galileo is not guilty of heresy because your little book does not specify that he is wrong, and isn't that book the word of God? Yes? Then where is the heresy? This man, faulty though his findings may be, is not crossing the word of your God, only the word of your Pope.
   That being said, I would not cross this Pope, if I correctly understand his position and power. He sits upon the old throne and power of my people. He is a powerful man. Therefore, I would say that Galileo is not a heretic, but merely a madman, one who needlessly crosses those who are his betters with his crazy ideas.
   Aristotle and I have already certified: the Earth is the center. There is no need for this man to continue his work. For this reason, I say, he has committed no crime besides that of stupidity, which is common to man. There is no need to kill him, to burn him at your stake.
   If you wish to punish him, it is clear that your current path is not the best way: he is a madman, he crossed you already, knowing your absolute power. He does not fear death. Yet, he has spent his life's work on his science, incorrect as it may be. Take away his science from him, and you will have taken away not only the entire life he has already spent, but any hope at a future life he may have. This should be his punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment